Monday, August 5, 2013

More Slide Together Experimention with Two Different Types of Shapes

I wanted to use the word polygons in the title.  However, a circle is not a polygon because it does not have any straight sides. Polygons are classified by the number of sides. And I wanted to experiment with circles and polygons...so the term shapes will have to do.

Results of My Slide Together Experimentation

I used cardstock for all of these models.

Here is the PDF of all of the models.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYMEIwOXpSSW9GOUE/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-rmclFwgKu5giBVLJGMjMtg

I decided to use a circle and a square with 60 degree angle slits.  It turned out harder than I anticipated.  I couldn't align the circle and square correctly.  So I resized the squares and the circles to be the same size...diameter = diagonal. I used 6 squares and 8 circles. The figure turned out to look like a truncated octahedron with circles instead of hexagons. Very nice! Here is the .Studio file. Cut one of each file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYdzc5ZDZ1azByVTg/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-qwHQl32GGKsAeZ5M07ls5g

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYMUc0R2xkb0w4Q1k/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-lG8yzqkp_IJmsZBbb9v5lA
Circle Square Slide Together

 I wanted to use two different shapes to create a cube.  How could I make a cube?  A cube is six sided so I would definitely need six squares.  But what other shape is needed to hold it together?  A triangle...if you slice off the corner of a cube you will get an equilateral triangle.  An equilateral triangle has three 60 degree angles. I created a equilateral triangle and added slits at 60 degree angles so that the corresponding square would slide together. I used 6 squares and 8 triangles. Here is the .Studio files. Cut one of each file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYNDl2SDZsejJRczA/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-IbRiL3c2lOM53ybP-1gF3w

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R2FLzRPySR3VDfXBxr3PZXn7kEo3581T/view?usp=sharing


Triangle Square Slide Together

A cube slide together. I think the Designer Software is so versatile.  It is so easy to make shapes and test them out quickly to see if they work.  The slits are a little big in this model but I think you might need it because the paper has to be bent in order to put the model together.  Here is the .Studio file. Cut one page. 

2 comments:

  1. Elaine the file 2 of Triangle Square Slide Together, it is not correct, it's the one with the circle. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated the file. Thanks for telling me! I just made the triangle square slide together. It was definitely an experimentation on my part. It’s not exactly a sturdy model...but very interesting. 😊

      Delete